Choosing the right alcohol addiction facility can make a big difference in your success in the battle against alcohol addiction. There is no magic formula, no “one size fits all” type of treatment for alcohol addiction and, while many alcoholics have a similar story, each patient must be treated to suit their own individual needs.
Quitting and alcohol dependency are not going to happen overnight. Although some people decide to cut down on their own alcohol intake for health purposes, many people who suffer from severe alcohol dependency cannot do this alone – when someone becomes addicted to alcohol they are unable to stop. Those with addictions need professional help and support from an experienced alcohol addiction facility and a network of family and friends to help them with this task.
What are the first steps along the road to living in successful, sober recovery? Anyone who suffers from alcohol addiction can make one very important decision that can completely change their lives for the better. It really doesn’t matter how long you have been drinking or the extent of the addiction, choosing the right type of alcohol addiction facility is just one step along the road to recovery drug rehab bali.
The first steps include:
• Making the commitment to quit abusing alcohol. It’s going to take time and a whole lot of effort to overcome this addiction, so focus on the reasons for getting sober. Rebuilding relationships with spouses, children or other family members, and living a healthier, happier life are all good reasons.
• Choose an alcohol addiction facility and take the first steps to an alcohol free life. A professional alcohol addiction facility will provide a safe environment in which someone suffering from alcohol dependency can battle against their alcohol addiction problems. Suitably qualified and experienced doctors will be on hand to help with the medication needed to safely handle the inevitable withdrawal symptoms and make the transition as smoothly and as painlessly as possible. A residential treatment program will also help to keep the patient away from temptation and provide the right type of counseling and emotional support vital to the success of their treatment.
• Learn to identify the triggers which may tempt an alcoholic to start drinking again during the treatment program and avoid those triggers whenever possible. Throw away any alcohol in the house, tell friends and family about the “alcohol free zone,” and encourage family members to attend sessions themselves in order to learn how to help and support the recovering alcoholic.
Choosing the Right Alcohol Addiction Facility
There are many options available when looking for the best alcohol addiction facility for your needs or the needs of a loved one. Many of these centers have similar treatment programs, but it is still essential that you choose the best facility to suit your needs. The program and facility you choose must fit with your situation, your preferences, and your lifestyle. The first thing to determine is the type of addiction program you need.
• Residential / Inpatient Treatment Programs: These are widely regarded to be the most effective type of program in any alcohol addiction facility. In this type of program the patient remains 24 hours a day in the sanctity of the alcohol addiction facility. The first phase of the treatment will generally involve a detox program whereby the patient is weaned off the alcohol. Withdrawal symptoms are often severe and need to be handled by an experienced professional. Medication may be used to counter the side effects. The next stage of the program is designed to deal with the psychological reasons and effects of alcohol addiction.
This section of the program should be tailor made to suit the needs of each individual patient and include individual, group, and family counseling and therapy sessions, courses in life skills, coping techniques, and a range of therapeutic activities designed to help the patient to live a sober, successful life after the treatment period has passed.
• Outpatient Treatment Programs: These are the best option for some patients. It is not always possible for someone suffering from alcohol addiction to concentrate fully on their recovery for 24 hours each day. These people may visit the alcohol addiction facility during the daytime while returning home in the evenings for an intense recovery program or alternatively visit the alcohol addiction facility for just a few hours each day or each week. The mechanics of the course are very similar to the techniques used in the inpatient treatment programs and should be tailor made to suit each individual patient.
Family / Loved Ones Interventions
Many people in need of alcohol addiction treatment simply do not realize the extent to which their addiction problem affects the lives of their family and loved ones. Families who are worried about the alcohol use of a loved one may find that organizing some sort of intervention is the best way in which they can help their loved ones get the help they need to fight their addiction at an alcohol addiction facility. In this case, a treatment plan will be drawn up ahead of time by the family and friends of the alcoholic, in conjunction with a chosen alcohol addiction facility. This treatment plan will then be presented to the patient, spelling out the clear guidelines and goals as well as pointing out the actions which will be taken by the family and friends if the person suffering from addiction refuses to seek the help they need and accept the treatment program offered. These can be a very successful method of making a loved one realize the extent of the problems caused by their alcohol addiction and how much of an effect it is having on the people they love the most.
No matter what type of treatment program or alcohol addiction facility is chosen, it is vitally important to stress that patients recovering alcoholism be provided with a strong, caring support network in order to continue living a sober life free from alcohol.